|image credit halfscratched.com|
- 1 lb salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 T vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 bag (14-oz) caramel squares, unwrapped
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees; butter a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugars for at least 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour and add to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until a soft dough forms.
- Press half the dough evenly into the pan; refrigerate remaining dough.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until firm and the edges are just barely turning a light golden brown. While dough is baking, start on the filling.
- Place the unwrapped caramels, heavy whipping cream and vanilla in a small saucepan. Heat over medium/low heat until completely melted
- Pour the caramel filling evenly over the crust. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and crumble evenly over the caramel.
- Sprinkle dough with sea salt.
- Bake for another 25-30 minutes or until the shortbread topping is firm and starting to turn a light golden brown on the edges.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
For more detail Salted Caramel Butter Bars @halfscratched.com