|iamge credit peanutbutterrunner.com|
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 lbs apples or about 4 medium apples (gala, braeburn, golden delicious, pink lady, etc), peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a non-stick 8×8 square baking pan by lining it with parchment paper cut 8 inches wide but long enough to hang over two edges of the pan. This will make removing the bars from the pan very easy!
- For the crust, using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, place butter, sugars and vanilla in the bowl and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until lightened in color and creamy. Whisk together flour, kosher salt, cinnamon and walnuts and slowly add to the butter-sugar mixture, with the mixer on low speed. Beat until just combined. Scatter two-thirds of the dough into prepared baking pan and press down lightly so that it covers the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides. Reserve the remaining 1/3 dough for topping. Refrigerate pan for 20 minutes and then remove from fridge and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Set aside to cool.
FULL RECIPES >> Ina’s Apple Pie Bars – Easier Than Apple Pie!