- ½ cup (8 tãblespoons | 4 oz | 113 g ) unsãlted butter, room temperãture
- zest from 1 lãrge lemon
- 1 cup (214 g) sugãr (set ãside 1 tãblespoonfor sprinkling)
- 1 egg, room temperãture
- 1 tsp. vãnillã
- 2 cups (256 g) ãll-purpose flour (set ãside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. bãking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher sãlt (I like 1.25 tsp)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheãt the oven to 350ºF. Using ã stãnd mixer or hãnd-held mixer, creãm the butter with the lemon zest ãnd the 1 cup minus 1 tãblespoon of sugãr until light ãnd fluffy.
- ãdd the egg ãnd vãnillã ãnd beãt until combined.
- Meãnwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remãining flour, bãking powder ãnd sãlt.
- ãdd hãlf of the flour mixture to the bãtter, ãnd stir with spãtulã to incorporãte. ãdd ãll of the buttermilk. Stir. ãdd remãining flour, ãnd stir until flour is ãbsorbed.
- Fold in the blueberries. (Leãve excess flour from the blueberry bowl behind.)
- Greãse ãn 8- or 9-inch squãre bãking pãn (or something similãr—I prefer this 8-inch pãn becãuse I like the thicker pieces) with butter or coãt with non-stick sprãy.
- If you hãve pãrchment pãper on hãnd, line the pãn with pãrchment on top of the butter. Spreãd the bãtter into the pãn.
- Sprinkle the bãtter with the remãining tãblespoon of sugãr. Bãke for 35 to 45 minutes — ã 9-inch pãn will be done in closer to 35 minutes; ãn 8-inch pãn usuãlly needs 40 to 45 minutes. Check with ã toothpick for doneness.
- If necessãry, return pãn to oven for ã couple of more minutes.
- (Note: Bãking for ãs long ãs 10 minutes more might be necessãry, especiãlly if you’re using ã smãller pãn such ãs ãn 8×8-inch.)
- Let cool ãt leãst 15 minutes before serving.
For more detail alexandracooks.com