Vegan Jalapeño Chickpea Mac and Cheese Pasta is gluten free, full of flavor, and ready in under 45 minutes. Made with a lentil and chickpea pasta, jalapeños, and Mexican spices. It’s a healthy hearty plant based meal that can feed a big family or multiple dinners for two!
Oh hey there spicy bowl of goodness round two! Yes, another dairy free flavorful bowl for you today.
- 16 oz (2 boxes) chickapea shells (see notes for link to product)
- 8–10 c water
- pinch of sea Salt
- 2 sliced jalapeños. Keep seeds if you want extra spicy.
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil (divided)
- Pinch of cumin
- 1– 2 tsp tsp garlic minced (divided)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each salt salt/pepper (divided)
- For the cheese sauce:
- 3/4 c coconut or almond milk plus 1/4 cup broth or water (add more if you need to thin out sauce)
- 3/4 c nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour or potato/tapioca starch
- Cilantro and crushed red pepper to garnish.
- Optional 2 tbsp taco sauce or Tabasco.
- Extra nutritional yeast if desired (see notes)
- For thicker vegan cheese sauce, you can also just use my Vegan Con Queso Cheese (see notes)
How To Make
- Preheat oven 400F. Slice jalpenos 1/4 in to 1/2 inch thick. If you slice them too thick they will cook faster than the time I recommend.
- Mix, chickpeas, jalapenos, and paprika, cumin, salt/pepper, garlic salt in a bowl with oil. Spread on baking sheet and bake 400F for 15-20 minutes.
- While that is baking, cook your pasta.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and lightly rinse. Add back into the pot with 1 -2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp garlic minced. Add in 1/4 tsp salt/pepper to taste. Keep heat on low.
- Updated – In another small saucepan, whisk together 3/4 cup coconut or almond milk with 1/4 cup broth or water, 3/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon gluten free flour or starch (tapioca or potato work great). Cook on medium until mixed and thickened “cheesy” sauce is formed. Add a few tablespoons more milk if you need to thin out sauce before adding to pasta. Notes: Depending on the type of pasta you use, you made need to make more sauce. Some pastas absorb the sauce more than others.
- Add this sauce to your pasta, mix together. Keep pasta on low or covered until Jalapeño chickpea bake is ready.
- Once jalapenos/chickpeas are baked, add them to the pasta.
- Cook all together for 5 minutes on low adding more salt/pepper if desired..
- Mix in Optional taco sauce if you want extra Mexican flavor!
- Serve and garnish with cilantro and chili pepper flakes.
- chickapea pasta is available on their site or amazon
- For Nutritional Yeast I used Bob Red Mill
- If you want a little creamier cheese, check out my Con Queso Cheese Sauce. You could add this would a bit of nutritional yeast.