This S’more Oatmeal Parfait is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, peanut free, tree nut free and soy free. It’s also healthy enough for breakfast, snack or dinner.
As you now know, I’m going overboard with Oat recipes. It’s just been such versatile food that we can cross off our food allergy list now that Mr. Naughty passed his food challenge. I’ve actually made something similar to this as a child in an attempt to eat what the cool kids eat. Do you remember Cream of Wheat hot cereal? I loved that cereal as a kid. (Of course, it was only good if you add at least 2-3 tablespoons of sugar to 1/2 cup of it.) Then remember going over to my neighbor’s house and see Coco Wheats! I begged my mom to buy it… she never did. I can’t remember why either. In our house, we could eat as much sugar and junk food as we pleased. In a sad but valiant attempt, (remember I was like 6 at the time) I tried adding a TON of plain cocoa powder. I’m talking like probably close to 1-2 CUPS of cocoa powder. Obviously, I had no clue as to why it wouldn’t get that deep rich chocolate color the real cereal had. (Dutch processed cocoa, duh!) I’m pretty sure I ended up gagging on the first bite… because I forgot to add sugar too.
My kids literally inhaled this the first time I was working on the recipe. I’m completely serious when I say this is healthy. Its really just oatmeal that’s been sweetened by melted marshmallows with antioxidant rich cocoa powder. The top is dressed up a bit but completely optional as with the layers. Believe me, you can just throw it all together in one bowl and it’s still tastes great.
Makes 1 large serving
- 1/2 cup ready quick oats
- 3/4 cup water or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup marshmallows (about 5 regular sized)
- 1 T dutch processed cocoa powder
- extra marshmallows for top
Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup crushed gluten free graham crackers
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 tsp water
Chocolate Sauce (optional)
- 2 T dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 T palm shortening or coconut oil
- 1 T maple syrup
How To Make
- Oatmeal: Cook oatmeal with water in the microwave on high for 1minute. Add marshmallows and microwave another 30 seconds. Mix until marshmallows melt. Add cocoa powder and stir until completely mixed.
- Marshmallow: In a separate bowl melt marshmallow and water in the microwave on high for 30-40 seconds. Stir and mix until smooth.
- In a glass or bowl, alternate layers of oatmeal and marshmallow.
- Top with extra marshmallows and broil on high in the oven until golden brown. (If using a glass, watch carefully so glass doesn’t crack when heated)
- Chocolate Sauce: Melt oil and combine with cocoa powder. Mix until smooth. Add maple syrup and sauce will start to thicken up. Pour over parfait. Garnish with Graham Cracker Crumbs.
Notes: I used a piping bag to help control the mess for adding layers. The glasses I used are pretty small, so this recipe is really just a large one serving of oatmeal. This recipe is best enjoy fresh and warm or else the oatmeal will become gummy! To achieve the deep dark chocolate color I used dutch processed cocoa powder. If you are a Vegan, this recipe could work with Vegan marshmallows, however I’ve never personally used them since they contain soy.
Recipe adapted from petiteallergytreats.com