- 280g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 75g mature cheddar, grated (plus 50g extra for topping)
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tbsp Marmite
- 5 tbsp milk, plus extra to glaze
|Cheese & Marmite Scones|
How To Make
- Heat oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7. Mix the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl with the salt. Add the butter and rub with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (or use a food processor). Stir in 75g of the cheese and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk the egg, marmite and milk together and pour into the well and bring the mixture together to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Add a little more milk if the dough is too dry.
- Turn onto a floured surface, then roll out to about 2cm thick. Stamp out 4 scones using a round cutter, then gather the trimmings and repeat until all the dough has been used. Put on a baking sheet, brush with milk and scatter over the remaining 50g of cheese. Bake for 10-12 mins until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with lashings of butter, enjoy!